- To check your state’s dental laws, click here.
- Information for your state dental board can be found here.
Are you asked to sign any forms that seek to release them from liability?
State dental boards have individual complaint processes for patients who have had issues with orthodontic treatment. You can find your state dental board info here.
- Is it you?
- If it is a doctor not associated with your treatment, who pays for those check-ups?
What is his or her education, background, qualifications and/or experience with orthodontics?
- Who is making that decision and how is it being determined?
- If the decision maker is a dentist or orthodontist not associated with your treatment, who pays for that assessment?
YES – how do you know that is the best treatment option for you, given your unique situation and oral condition, compared to other treatment models (such as braces)?
NO – how is the decision being made for the best treatment model for you, and who is making that decision?
- What are his or her education and credentials?
- In what state is he or she licensed?
- In what state does he or she practice?
- Can you read any reviews or comments from former patients? What do other patients being treated by him or her have to say?
NO – are you comfortable not being able to research your dentist’s or orthodontist’s background, credentials, patient reviews, etc., before you begin treatment?
- How many?
- What occurs during these in-person visits?
- Is there a licensed dentist or orthodontist in the office to supervise the visits?
NO – are you comfortable with orthodontic treatment that does not involve any in-person visits with a dentist or orthodontist?
YES – Your teeth and mouth are as unique as you. Examining your mouth with x-rays gives your orthodontist a better road map on how to help you.
- Does the treatment and fee include x-rays of your teeth and jaws?
- Does the treatment and fee include a clinical examination of your jaw alignment, teeth, bite, and your teeth’ relationship to the skeletal structures?
- Does the treatment and fee include taking photographs of your face, facial profile, mouth, and teeth?
- Does the treatment and fee include taking digital scans or other impressions of your teeth?
NO – You have to ask yourself if you are comfortable starting orthodontic treatment without comprehensive diagnostic records. If you would like complete diagnostic records taken, are you comfortable going to another dental professional to take them? If yes, what will that cost?